Safety Tips: Zone Inspections
Zone inspections can cover a lot of territory, both literally and figuratively. If you bring along a safety specialist, you can use these inspections to uncover some common and easy-to-fix hazards:
- Overloaded electrical circuits. Look for power strips plugged into power strips, too many machines plugged into one outlet, or devices that require a grounded outlet plugged into ungrounded outlets.
- Blocked or awkward hallways and passageways.
- Extension cords or power cords lying where people have to walk on them.
- Hazardous materials stored in the open or in the wrong place.
- Fire extinguishers that are missing, that don’t have an inspection tag, or that haven’t been inspected in a long time.
- Floors or decks that are slippery or irregular.
- Ladders with loose or slick treads.
- Missing safety lines and warning signs.